MASSOPERA 2020/2021 SEASON AUDITIONS TO BE ADMINISTERED VIA ONLINE SUBMISSION, 9/1/2020 to 10/1/2020. SUBMIT YOUR MATERIALS AND WE WILL REVIEW!
In an attempt to be flexible, responsive, and economically savvy, MassOpera is hosting Season Auditions for all 2020/2021 performances and events. Some of these events will be virtual only, and others are planned with the flexibility of being presented purely virtually AND/OR socially distanced in-person, IF it is safe to do so. There is NO cost to audition for MO’s Season Auditions. All are welcome to submit!
All auditions for the 2020/2021 Season will be done via video submission, with no cost to the singer to submit. Please record a video audition of two selections: one must be an opera aria, and each piece needs to be in a different language. The second piece can be an aria, art song, or musical theatre piece. If you are interested in La Traviata, please have one of your selections be a 3-5 minute aria or aria excerpt from a Verdi, Bellini or Donizetti opera. If auditioning for Violetta, please ensure that your selection shows fast-moving passagework. Please read below for further details and how to apply:
WHEN & WHERE
Auditions for MassOpera’s 2020/2021 Season will be done via video-submission. Details below:
Audition Submissions Open September 1st 2020 @ 12:01 AM
Audition Submissions Closes October 1st 2020 @ 11:59 PM
You will fill out the online Audition Registration Form at the bottom of this web page
Auditions are open to all classical singers. MassOpera gives equal opportunity to all artists and welcomes and encourages people of any race, color, age, gender identity or expression, ability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, creed, ancestry, nationality or ethnicity, geographical origin, immigration status, socio-economic status, and/or veteran status.
WHAT TO INCLUDE WITH YOUR ONLINE AUDITION SUBMISSION
Please prepare the following vocal selections:
* One opera aria
* Your two vocal submissions must be in two different languages
* In addition to an aria, singers can submit an art song or musical theatre piece
Recording/submission guidelines for videos:
* You can use a backing track, live pianist (please be safe!) or sing a cappella. The accompaniment (or lack thereof) will have no bearing on how we choose singers for the season
* Please introduce yourself and your piece at the beginning of each video
* Wear something comfortable that you feel great in
* Be sure you are not backlit and that we can see you well from at least the waist up
* Do a sound check to make sure you do not peak the mic or distort
* Please upload your videos to youtube, unlisted, and include as links in the registration form below
Please be sure to upload the following documentation (please note the preferred file formats):
* Recent digital headshot (jpg or png)
* Updated digital résumé (pdf or word)
There is NO audition fee, and no need to spend a lot of money making these recordings. Do the best you can with what you have and sing pieces you love.