MASSOPERA MIRROR CABARET AUDITIONS WILL BE ADMINISTERED VIA ONLINE SUBMISSION, 11/20/2021 AND NOW TO 1/20/2022. SEEKING MUSICAL THEATRE SINGERS. SUBMIT YOUR MATERIALS AND WE WILL REVIEW!
In an attempt to be flexible, responsive, and economically savvy, MassOpera is hosting Mirror Cabaret Auditions online. The opera side of the Mirror Cabaret is cast from our 2020/2021 season auditions. We are looking for experienced musical theatre singers/actors for the musical theatre side of this cabaret. Performances will be Thursday, May 5th and Friday, May 6th at City Winery in Boston. In this semi-staged cabaret event we will mirror similar scenes from operas and musical based on those operas, and/or that share the same source material. Details are below!
All auditions for the 2021/2022 Season will be done via video submission, with no cost to the singer to submit. Please record a video audition of two musical theatre selections: one must be 90 seconds of a golden age legit number as well as 90 seconds of a more contemporary rock/pop number. You may submit a third recording of your choosing (any style), which cannot exceed 90 seconds. Please read below for further details, and how to apply:
WHEN & WHERE
Auditions for The Mirror Cabaret will be done via video-submission. Details below:
Audition Submissions Open November 20th 2021 @ 7:00 AM
Audition Submissions Closes January 20th 2022 @ 11:59 PM
You will fill out the online Audition Registration Form at the bottom of this web page.
Performances are Thursday, May 5th and Saturday, May 6th at City Winery, 80 Beverly Street, Boston, MA 02114.
Auditions are open to all musical theatre singers. MassOpera gives equal opportunity to all artists and welcomes and encourages people of any race, color, age, gender identity or expression, ability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, creed, ancestry, nationality or ethnicity, geographical origin, immigration status, socio-economic status, and/or veteran status.
WHAT TO INCLUDE WITH YOUR ONLINE AUDITION SUBMISSION
Please prepare the following 2 vocal selections:
* 90 seconds of you singing a golden-age legit number
* 90 seconds of you singing a more contemporary rock/pop number
* You may also submit a third recording of your choosing (any style), which cannot exceed 90 seconds.
* Repertoire should be from the following musicals or from similar musicals: Aida, Cinderella (Rodgers and Hammerstein), Hadestown, Little Women, Miss Saigon, Rent, West Side Story.
Recording/submission guidelines for videos:
* You can use a backing track, live pianist, or sing a cappella. The accompaniment (or lack thereof) will have no bearing on how we choose singers for the Mirror Cabaret
* Please introduce yourself and your piece at the beginning of each video
* Wear something comfortable that you feel great in
* Be sure you are not backlit and that we can see you well from at least the waist up
* Do a sound check to make sure you do not peak the mic or distort
* Please upload your videos to youtube, unlisted, and include as links in the registration form below
Please be sure to upload the following documentation (please note the preferred file formats):
* Recent digital headshot (jpg or png)
* Updated digital résumé (pdf or word)
There is NO audition fee, and no need to spend a lot of money making these recordings. Do the best you can with what you have and sing pieces you love.
All singers will receive a stipend of $450, with between 15 – 20 hours of rehearsal and performance time, including all music, staging, tech, and dress rehearsals, and the two performances.