- The Business of Singing Seminar, (including budget, debt and financial management)
- Audition Preparation Evenings
- and Master Classes
We are one of the only companies in the Northeast that offers written feedback at our Vocal Competition, and often provide feedback from auditions upon request. We will be presenting our Vocal Competition bi-annually in rotation with our newly launching New Opera Workshop.
Upcoming offerings include another Business of Singing seminar as well as a seminar/master class on presenting dramatically compelling arias. Read below to learn more!
In the tradition of supporting and educating emerging classical singers, MassOpera has launched the New Opera Workshop, with Kamala Sankaram and Jerre Dye’s Taking Up Serpents in 2018, ahead of its World Premiere with Washington National Opera at the Kennedy Center in January 2019; and more recently with Dan Shore’s Freedom Ride, ahead of its upcoming World Premiere with Chicago Opera Theater in February 2020.
The New Opera Workshop is a rare opportunity in opera to give the composer and librettist a chance to see and hear their piece for the first time with singers and orchestra before a full production is mounted. The workshop performance allows the creative team to figure out what music/text needs to be cut, added, changed, tweaked or completely re-imagined, in order to tighten and improve the operatic piece.
Producing an opera workshop also allows MassOpera to foster the growth of new stories that have never been told. Our goal over the coming years is to not only push the boundaries of music and style in opera, but to also push the boundaries of what types of stories are told and what types of characters are presented.
For our inaugural New Opera Workshop performance of Taking Up Serpents we decided to showcase the talents of a female composer, Kamala Sankaram, whereas by workshopping Freedom Ride, we wanted to tackle an important part of American Civil Rights history.
- Honing and developing one’s technical and artistic capability as a performer
- Marketing, promoting, advocating and negotiating for oneself as a freelance business person
- Developing the literacy and practice of financial management, including budgeting, taxes, and (student) loan repayment
Over the next two seasons MassOpera plans to dive deep into these three basic principles with more in-depth individual seminars, giving singers and other artists the option to take part in one, two, or all three seminars based on their individual needs.
Check back for dates and times this Fall!
- Try out new repertoire, including arias, oratorio, art songs, and legit musical theatre pieces before an audience of their peers
- Receive written, anonymous feedback from peer singers, to help with musicality, diction, and interpretation
- Experiment with musical, dramatic, and comedic interpretation
- Gain the experience of singing these new audition pieces to a live audience before singing said audition pieces in a real audition
We plan to open up the Audition Preparation Evenings to musical theatre singers of all styles in our upcoming season.
Please check back later in the Fall for more details!
Check out our website in 2019 for details on our first Master Class!
MassOpera introduced the Annual Vocal Competition for Emerging Artists in 2010 and has held this event annually every year through to 2018, and bi-annually thereafter. We saw a need for singers to have the opportunity to gain experience performing in a high-steaks, multi-round vocal competition, in order to gain meaningful experience and also compete for cash prizes in the Final Round. What has always made MassOpera’s Vocal Competition for Emerging Artists stand out is that:
- Every applicant is given the opportunity to sing
- Every applicant receives written feedback from the Preliminary Round Judges
- The Finalists compete for cash prizes totaling $1,500
- The winner receives free admission to all educational programs, performances, and events throughout the season following their win (in addition to the top prize of $600)
As we launch our 13th Season as MassOpera we have decided to hold the Vocal Competition bi-annually as we introduce new programming, such as our New Opera Workshop.
To learn more about auditions for the Vocal Competition for Emerging Artists and to fill out an application, please CLICK HERE!