Date & Time: Sunday, March 29th @ 6:00 PM
(Doors open at 5:30 PM)
Venue: Chase Young Gallery | South End
Location: 450 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA 02118
Ticketing: $30.00/ticket (General Admission)
Your ticket includes a complimentary invitation to a wine and cheese reception following the performance in the Gallery, with the singers, judges, and MassOpera staff members and board members.
*** Please Note that the intimate seating capacity is only 40, so we encourage patrons to purchase their tickets as early as possible.
Finals Judges: Penelope Bitzas,Tian Hui Ng, and Renée Tatum
Finals Pianist: Yukiko Oba
Vocal Competition Final Round Concert
MassOpera is proud to bring back the Vocal Competition for Emerging Artists, last presented in 2018. The Final Round Concert of the Vocal Competition will feature the top 8-12 finalists, competing for cash prizes. Join us as we present some of the best singers in the United States, representing over fifteen states and three countries, in an incredibly intimate and beautiful setting.
What do the winners of the Vocal Competition Receive?
* 1st Place – $600 in prize money and free access to MassOpera educational programming for the entire next season
* 2nd Place – $400 in prize money
* 3rd Place – $300 in prize money
* Encouragement Award – $200 in prize money
What are the benefits for all singers competing?
* Every singer who applies is heard
* Every singer receives written feedback from the preliminary round judges, so as to readily apply the feedback to future performances and auditions
(Pictured above is soprano, Alicia Russell who appeared as Sylvie Davenport in MO’s New Opera Workshop Concert Performance of Dan Shore’s Freedom Ride, and to the left is soprano, Rachele Schmiege, previous Vocal Competition Winner and now Permanent Member of the Metropolitan Opera Chorus. Photo Credit: Co Co Boardman)
FINAL ROUND JUDGES
Associate Professor of Music in Voice, Boston University
Tian Hui Ng
Music Director, Pioneer Valley Symphony and Victory Players
Mezzo-Soprano with the Metropolitan Opera and other Major Companies
PRELIMINARY ROUND JUDGES & PIANIST
Producing Artistic Director, MassOpera
Daniel P. Ryan
Conductor of Die Fledermaus & The Beautiful Bridegroom
Dana Lynne Varga
Founder & Artistic Director, MassOpera
Audition & Final Round Concert Pianist
Chase Young Gallery
450 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA 02118.
If using public transportation, it is best to use:
- Orange line to Tufts Medical Center (12 minute walk to the gallery)
- Red Line to Broadway Station (10 minute walk to the gallery)
- Green Line to Copley Square (20 minute walk to the gallery)
- Or the Silver line (SL4 or SL5) to Washington Street @ East Berkeley Street (about a 2 minute walk to the gallery)
*** Please note: the Orange Line and Green Line are subway rapid transit (and both connect with North Station), AND The Red Line is also subway rapid transit, and the Silver Line is a bus rapid transit (and both connect with South Station).
If driving there is parking available at 365 Albany Street, adjacent to the gallery.